Pages

Sunday 17 April 2011

A beauty bloggers guide to...

Happiness

Being the rather shallow excuse for a person that I am, when I need cheering up I turn to beauty products. Nothing makes me happier than to take a couple of hours to just stop and indulge in a spot of D.I.Y beauty therapy...

1. Glitter


Glitter makes me happy. Whether it be on my nails or slathered all over my face (ha) it always cheers me up. I blame it on living with two of the campest men in Scotland (probably) for two years and being subjected by them to a face full of glitter at Death Disco every month. I am in absolute love with O.P.I's teenage dreams...

Pink rainbow glitter! Also you should all know my love for M.A.C's 3d glitters


Getting some sparkle on and dancing on my couch to Candi Staton, to me, is instant happiness!

2. SCRUB!


I think the best feeling in the world happens when you've just stepped out of the shower after exfoliating head to toe. I think it's the combination of having silky smooth skin and feeling squeeky clean. If this is quickly followed by going to bed with fresh sheets and reading Roald Dahl - well that's a perfect evening right there!

3. Face Masks


I remember the first ever sleepover I had with my friends when I was 12 - we all sat in our pyjamas watching films, eating a ridiculous amount of sweets and applied a face mask. I remember thinking we were so grown up and sophisticated! But still to this day, I equate face masks with pampering, despite a mask being an important part of my skincare routine, and find it rather relaxing sitting for 10/15 minutes with a face mask on. My favourite is still Liz Earle's deep cleansing mask and as it's clay based, I like to keep mine in the fridge so it's lovely and cool on the skin when applied.

4. Bubbles

From the first time reading The Bell Jar, one quote always sticks in my mind:

'There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them.'

It's true! Baths have always made me happy, from making bubble beards and tidal waves when I was wee to now, twenty years later, using them as a way of de-stressing and pampering. I think I've blogged about the Sanctuary's Bidadari range before - it is beautiful. This shimmering bath creme is such a lovely product, it makes lots of amazing, shimmering jasmine and ylang ylang scented bubbles that make me feel all sleepy. It's the simple things!

5. Colour

M.A.C Pink Friday, M.A.C. Petals and Peacocks, YSL Rouge Pur 128

Just looking at these lipsticks make me smile. I love colour in my make up, and the easiest way, I think, to incorporate a bit of colour into your life is through lipstick. Whether you sheer it out with lip gloss/balm, only wear it in the privacy of your own bedroom or be Baaaaam purple all over your mouth, every girl should own at least one bright, happiness enducing lipstick.

If all of this fails, I advise you watch numerous charlieissocoollike videos whilst eating cheese/cake/mini eggs



And if that doesn't work, I fear there's no hope and you will forever be a little sad (in a charming way) like an extra from a Tim Burton film...

Lots of Love
Nicola
xxx

9 comments:

  1. LOVE teenage dream and charlie! :)
    (new subscriber, came from willwrkfrkmakeup hello! ) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. happiness is no captcha for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not kidding - sometimes I just like looking at Teenage Dream and my MAC Reflects pigments.

    Lovely to have met you yesterday - hope you had fun after the ballet.

    Toni
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, glitter does make people happy. I remember last year when I was wearing OPI mad as a hatter nail polish and I was just looking at it on my nails smiling at how pretty it was! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello from a new follower, you have a lovely blog :)
    I love glitter and bubble baths too!
    Sarah
    sparkle-and-grey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wish i had took more :( too bust yapping haha! I had a lovely time and it was really nice meeting you all, I hope you can make it to the girls day out at the secc :) if you need any deatails just drop me a wee line xxxx

    p.s i used to go to death disco too hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh! Nothing makes me happier than charlie Mcdonnell! and the other stuff too.. haha! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh i absolutely adore glitter too! :P girls best friend?!

    http://skyerosemua.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Justine - hello :) Thanks for following!!! Teenage dream is amazing! As is Tiffany ;)

    Toni - It was so lovely to meet you doll!!

    Abbie - I still cant believe I missed out on mad as a hatter! It looks amazing!

    sparkle-and-grey - Thanks for following lovely!

    Adrienne - Ha I know i totally forgot all about photos!!! I'm going to try and get the Saturday off, it sounds fun!!

    Phoebs - Charlie love!!

    Princessx - Hahaha definitely! Plus it's cheaper than diamonds ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete

I do love a good comment!